Dieser Beitrag ist auch verfügbar auf: Deutsch
Crumbly, tender, buttery, aromatic and incredibly delicious are these cookies. They are a sweet temptation in the Advent season that you can not resist, and perfect as a Christmas gift. You can make the vegan piping cookies with a few common ingredients easily and quickly yourself. A detailed vegan spritz cookies recipe with exact quantities and step-by-step instructions can be found here at the bottom.
How do spritz cookies go vegan?
This spritz cookies do not use any animal products. Instead of butter, I used vegan margarine. The egg has replaced soy flour mixed with a little water. But there are also other egg alternatives. Thus the piping cookies are already vegan. Of course you can use butter instead of margarine and an egg instead of soy flour with water if you don’t necessarily want the spritz cookies to be vegan. But these vegan pastries taste so tender and heavenly delicious that you don’t even need the animal ingredients. Just give them a try!
The secret of the best piping cookies
The most important thing in this spritz cookies recipe is the consistency of the dough. It should be like a spreadable paste. Therefore, add flour in batches to the other ingredients and only until the dough gets the consistency you need. If you add too little flour, you can easily pipe the cookies with a piping bag, but they may melt and become very thin when baked. By the way, such cookies do not taste less delicious. If you add too much flour, so that the dough becomes too firm, it will be difficult to pipe the cookies with the piping bag. In addition, they may taste too dry after baking. If you overdo it with the flour and the dough becomes too firm, you can thin it out again with a little vegetable milk.
Another requirement for the tastiest spritz cookies is not to stir the dough too long, so that it doesn’t get too warm. Otherwise, the margarine in the dough will start to melt, so you would need more and more flour, which could make the cookies taste too dry. After the dough is ready, you should process it immediately, i.e. bake cookies from it. Alternatively, you can put it in the fridge for a short time, but don’t leave it at room temperature.
And finally, you should not bake the piping cookies longer than necessary, so that they taste tender and really crumbly after baking. The cookies are ready very quickly, in about 10 minutes already. Use a toothpick to check.
Add Christmas flavor to piped cookies
If you’re making the vegan spritz cookies during Advent, you can add different wintery spices to the dough. I used gingerbread spice for this. Instead you can use cinnamon, ginger powder, nutmeg. I also stirred in the zest of an organic orange into the dough. This gave the cookies a slightly refreshing and very aromatic note. Lemon zest would work just as well for this. By the way, vegan spritz cookies are a nice homemade gift for Christmas, guaranteed to please any sweet tooth.
Vegan spritz cookies with piping bag and without meat grinder
I made my spritz cookies with a piping bag and without a meat grinder. For this I used the star nozzle. You simply fill the dough into the piping bag with the star-shaped nozzle and then pipe the cookies in various shapes onto the baking tray. As for the shape of the pastries, there are no limits to your imagination. I made them in five different shapes, which you can see in the pictures.
Vegan spritz cookies with meat grinder
If you want to make the piped cookies with a meat grinder, you need a special attachment for it. Maybe you already have it at home. With the meat grinder, the depositing of the pastries is even easier and more uniform than with the piping bag.
Decorate with chocolate, nuts or coconut
Vegan spritz cookies taste heavenly delicious even without any decoration. But if you want to embellish the pastries even more, make them more colorful and give them more flavors, you can decorate them any way you like. For example, for the chocolate flavor, you can cover them with chocolate. You can use dark or white chocolate and melt it beforehand. You can also sprinkle the piping cookies with various nuts, seeds or coconut flakes. Ideal for decorating the cookies are thus:
- vegan dark chocolate or white chocolate,
- chopped almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios, walnuts, peanuts,
- coconut chips and shredded coconut.
These spritz cookies are
- very aromatic,
- heavenly delicious,
- easy and quick to make with ordinary ingredients,
- ideal for snacking for the Advent season,
- perfect Christmas gift from the kitchen,
- long shelf life.
Vegan spritz cookies recipe
This recipe for vegan piping cookies is very easy, quick and comes with few ingredients that you may already have at home. Here you can get a rough idea of how the making goes and what you need for it. The exact quantities and step-by-step instructions for making vegan spritz cookies can be found in the recipe box below.
For the recipe you need
- room-warm vegan margarine,
- powdered sugar,
- flour and some cornstarch,
- some soy flour and water,
- any gingerbread spices
- and grated organic orange.
How to make spritz cookies vegan: here’s how (Check out the detailed recipe at the bottom.)
- First you whip soft margarine until fluffy, then add powdered sugar and beat it for another few minutes. Now add soy flour mixed with water, spices and orange zest and beat briefly until homogeneous. Now add flour with cornstarch and mix it quickly and briefly to a dough with the consistency of a spreadable paste.
- Now you squirt cookies out of the dough with a piping bag or meat grinder and bake them at 180 °C for about 10 minutes. Done!
Vegan spritz cookies: with these tips and tricks, you can make it
- I replaced a small amount of flour with cornstarch to make vegan spritz cookies taste even more tender. But you can also just use flour for the recipe.
- The amount of flour given in the recipe may vary. Therefore, add flour in batches until the dough becomes like a spreadable paste. If your dough is too firm, you can thin it with a little vegetable milk.
- You can replace a small amount of flour with the same amount of cocoa powder and get chocolate cookies.
- Do not stir the dough too long, but only briefly, until it gets a homogeneous consistency.
- Do not bake the cookies longer than necessary or they may taste dry. Check with a toothpick to make sure they are done baking.
- Store vegan spritz cookies in an airtight container, such as a lunch box, at room temperature. It will stay fresh and delicious for a very long time, up to about a month.
- The piping cookies make a lovely homemade Christmas gift from the kitchen for anyone with a sweet tooth.
Have you made vegan spritz cookies using this recipe? I’m looking forward to your results, your star rating and your comment here below on how you liked and succeeded with the piping cookies.
Got an appetite for more vegan cookies? Also try:
- How to make vegan vanilla crescents: the best recipe
- How to make Spitzbuben: vegan recipe for Linzer cookies
Vegan spritz cookies
- piping bag or meat grinder
- 250 g vegan margarine (room-warm)
- 130 g powdered sugar
- approx. 390 g flour
- 10 g cornstarch
- 1 tbsp soy flour
- 3 tbsp water
- zest of 1 organic orange
- 1 tsp gingerbread spice
- 1 pinch of salt
for decorating (alternative)
- vegan chocolate (white and dark)
- nuts (any)
- coconut flakes and chips
- Whip margarine for about 5 minutes until fluffy and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and beat for another 3 - 4 minutes until fluffy.
- Mix soy flour with water, add it together with orange zest, gingerbread spice and salt to the margarine mixture and beat briefly until homogeneous.
- Add cornstarch as well as flour in portions and mix briefly to form a dough of the consistency of a paste.
- Fill the dough into the piping bag with the star nozzle and pipe various cookies onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake the spritz cookies in a preheated oven at 180 °C top and bottom heat for about 10 minutes, let them cool and decorate them as desired.
- The indicated amount of flour may vary. Therefore, add flour in portions until the dough becomes like a spreadable paste.
- Do not mix the dough too long, but only briefly, until it becomes a homogeneous consistency.
- Do not bake the cookies longer than necessary or they may taste dry. Use a toothpick to check if they are baked.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for making vegan spritz cookies at the top of the post.