Dieser Beitrag ist auch verfügbar auf: Deutsch
Crispy top layer, tender potato dough and spicy filling – you definitely won’t be able to resist these potato zrazy once you try them. They’re stuffed with mushrooms, vegan, and incredibly delicious. These potato zrazy are perfect as a main meal for lunch, dinner, or as a snack in between meals. You can find a detailed zrazy recipe with exact quantities and step-by-step instructions right below.
What are zrazy?
Zrazy are a savory dish of Polish, Lithuanian, Belarusian and Ukrainian cuisine. They are filled patties or dumplings made with vegetable puree, fish or minced meat. The filling can be any, for example, mushrooms, vegetables, boiled eggs, cheese or meat. There are many different zrazy recipes. Potato zrazy with mushrooms is a popular vegetarian version of the dish. In Ukrainian and Belarusian cuisine, potato zrazy are also called kartoplaniki or kartoflaniki. However, while zrazy are always stuffed, kartoflaniki can be made without a filling.
Vegetarian zrazy are made from potato or other vegetable dough. Eggs are often added to the dough. Sometimes sour cream is added. But you can omit these ingredients without problems and get a vegan potato dough, as I do in this recipe. The mushroom filling contains no animal products. So you get delicious vegan zrazy.
How to serve potato patties stuffed with mushrooms?
The potato zrazy with mushrooms are filling and suitable as a main dish for lunch or dinner. They are served with vegan sour cream, fresh vegetables and aromatic herbs, among other things. You can still make a delicious sauce for it. Immediately after frying, the still warm zrazy taste best. However, they are also delicious cold in the next few days. Alternatively, you can heat them up on the stove, in the oven or in the microwave. The stuffed potato patties can also be served as a snack between meals or as an appetizer.
Other ideas for kartoflaniki fillings
Instead of mushrooms you can also use other fillings for the potato zrazy. For example, they are very tasty filled with white cabbage. You should steam the cabbage first. Fried onions can also be used as a filling and combine perfectly with the potato dough. Vegetarian zrazy can be filled with hard-boiled eggs. Just cut them into small cubes and add fried onions and any herbs you like to the eggs. Also (vegan) cheese is suitable for filling the potato patties.
These kartoflaniki are
- with a crispy top layer,
- incredibly delicious,
- vegan – without egg and other animal products,
- easy and quick to make yourself,
- delicious hot and cold,
- ideal as a main course, appetizer or snack.
Vegan potato zrazy recipe
The zrazy recipe is very simple, so you can whip up these mushroom-stuffed potato patties in a flash. Besides, you need very few ingredients. Here you can get a rough idea of how the preparation works and what you need for it. The exact quantities and step-by-step instructions for making vegan potato zrazy with mushrooms can be found in the recipe box below.
For the potato patties you need
- first of all potatoes,
- and salt and pepper to taste.
For the filling add
- mushrooms cut into small cubes,
- onions and garlic – finely chopped,
- salt and pepper.
For frying you still need vegetable oil.
How to make vegan potato zrazy with mushrooms: here’s how to do it (Check out the detailed recipe at the bottom.)
- First, boil potatoes and carrots together, mash them, season with salt and pepper and let the puree cool down. Then you add flour and mix it into a sticky dough.
- For the filling, fry onions with garlic in vegetable oil until translucent, then add mushrooms and fry them as well.
- Now flour your work surface and hands, form small patties from the dough, put some mushroom filling on them, close the edges of each patty and press it flat. Fry the filled potato patties on both sides in vegetable oil until golden brown. Done!
How to make potato zrazy with mushrooms: tips and tricks
- Cut potatoes and carrots into small pieces before cooking, if necessary, so that they cook faster.
- You can leave out the carrots and use more potatoes instead.
- By the way, you can also use leftover mashed potatoes for this recipe.
- You can season both the potato dough and the mushroom filling with spices of your choice.
- You will get the best potato zrazy if you do not use too much flour for the potato dough. Therefore, use potatoes with little moisture and a lot of starch for it, so that they absorb as little flour as possible. Floury potatoes are therefore best suited for the zrazy recipe. Immediately after cooking and draining the water, leave the potatoes and carrots on the hot stove for a short time so that the remaining liquid evaporates. Also, let the mashed potatoes and carrots cool thoroughly so that they are no longer mushy.
- The amount of flour given in the recipe may vary. Therefore, add the flour to the potato-carrot mixture in batches until the dough has a sticky and soft consistency.
- Do not overdo the flour when rolling the potato patties and your hands in it.
- Since the potato zrazy are very tender, you should fry them in the pan with enough space between them and turn them carefully.
- Instead of frying in the pan, you can also bake the stuffed potato zrazy in the oven.
Did you make the potato zrazy with mushroom filling using this recipe? I’m looking forward to your result, your star rating and your comment here below, how you succeeded and tasted the vegan kartoflaniki.
Got an appetite for more delicious vegan patties? Try also:
Potato zrazy with mushrooms vegan (kartoplaniki / kartoflaniki)
- 700 g potatoes (peeled)
- 100 g carrots (cleaned)
- approx. 45 g flour
- flour for the work surface
- vegetable oil for frying
for the filling
- 250 g mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- vegetable oil for frying
- Put potatoes and carrots together in a saucepan with water and cook them until they are done.
- Drain the water and leave the vegetables in the saucepan on the hot stove for a short time so that the remaining liquid evaporates. Then puree it, season it with salt and pepper and let the potato-carrot puree cool down.
Preparation of the filling
- Finely chop onion and garlic, cut mushrooms into small cubes.
- Fry onion and garlic in a pan in vegetable oil until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and stir-fry over high heat for about 5 minutes until liquid is first formed and then evaporates. Season the mushroom filling with salt and pepper.
Preparation of the zrazy
- Flour the work surface and your hands. Put some of the potato dough on the work surface and press it flat, making a not too deep hollow in the middle. Put some of the mushroom filling into the hollow and press the sides of the potato dough together towards the top. Now press the filled dough slightly flat. Repeat until the potato dough and filling are used up.
- Put some vegetable oil in the frying pan and heat it. Fry the stuffed potato patties in it over medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
- Cut potatoes and carrots into small pieces before cooking, if necessary, to make them cook faster.
- You can omit carrots and just use more potatoes instead.
- You can season both the potato dough and the mushroom filling with any spices you like.
- The best potato zrazy will turn out if you do not use too much flour for the potato dough. Therefore, use floury boiling potatoes, directly after boiling and draining the water, steam the potatoes and carrots briefly on the hot stove and then let the mashed potatoes and carrots cool down.
- The amount of flour indicated may vary. Therefore, add the flour in portions to the potato-carrot mixture until the dough acquires a sticky and soft consistency.
- Do not overdo it with the flour, even when rolling the potato patties and your hands in it.
- Since the potato zrazy are very tender, fry them in the pan with enough distance from each other and turn carefully.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for making the potato zrazy with mushrooms at the top of the post.