Dieser Beitrag ist auch verfügbar auf: Deutsch
This plant based sour cream substitute tastes so heavenly creamy and delicious. It is versatile – whether for cake creams, desserts, sauces, as a dip, spread, to main dishes or soups. You can make the cashew sour cream yourself in just a few minutes. You’ll need a few common ingredients to make it. A detailed vegan sour cream recipe with exact quantities and step-by-step instructions can be found below.
The secret – cashews
The main ingredient in this vegan sour cream alternative is cashews, just like in the raw vegan lemon cheesecake. They get a very creamy consistency after being pureed with water, similar to sour cream made from cow’s milk. If you then add some vinegar and lemon juice to the mixture, you’ll also get the perfect purely plant based sour cream in terms of taste.
Use only raw cashews for this recipe. They must not be roasted or salted.
Before blending, soak the cashews in water. You can either soak them in cold water overnight or longer, or in boiling water for about 1 hour. Then pour off the soaking water and rinse the cashews.
To puree the cashews, you’ll need as high-powered a blender as possible. With a regular blender, you may need to blend a little longer until the mixture becomes creamy.
Wondering what you can use as an alternative to cashews for vegan sour cream substitute? I’ve discovered a few recipes for it using sunflower seeds.
With these, the preparation goes the same way as with cashews. So you soak the sunflower seeds in water first, then mix them with fresh water, some lemon juice, vinegar and salt until creamy.
However, I have never tried the recipe with sunflower seeds** myself. Therefore, I can not report how such a sour cream substitute is from the taste and consistency.
How to use?
Use the vegan sour cream alternative just like the classic sour cream made from cow’s milk – for sweet and savory dishes.
It is ideal for cake creams and desserts. For example, I used it to make my vegan medovik cake.
You can serve the cashew sour cream with vegetarian pelmeni, potato zrazy with mushrooms or vegan lenivye pelmeni.
For breakfast, the dairy-free sour cream substitute tastes delicious with vegan yeast oladi or with vegan blini.
It’s also perfect as a simple bread spread. Enjoy it, for example, with freshly baked whole wheat bread, baguette or with wholemeal bread rolls.
In soups, for example in vegan borscht, kharcho soup, shchi or solyanka, the vegan sour cream substitute does very well.
You can also use the cashew sour cream for dips, toppings and sauces. Serve it with homemade falafels and vegan naan bread, among other things.
How to store?
Store the homemade vegan sour cream substitute in a screw-top or canning jar in the refrigerator. It will keep there for about 5 days. It will thicken the next day. Depending on your taste, you can dilute it with some plant milk, for example almond milk, lupine drink, coconut milk, soy drink, or water.
The cashew sour cream can also be frozen very well. So you can make a larger quantity of it in advance. Then let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Then you can dilute it with water or plant milk as needed.
The vegan sour cream substitute is
- very tasty,
- easy and lightning fast to make,
- versatile to use.
Quick vegan sour cream recipe
The vegan sour cream substitute recipe you’ll find in the recipe box here at the end of the post is simple and lightning fast. You only need five ingredients for it, if you count water and salt.
First, you need to soak cashews in water. Then you mix all the ingredients until creamy. And that’s it.
How to make cashew sour cream: tips and tricks
- You can either soak the cashews in cold water overnight or in boiling water for about 1 hour.
- You can adjust the amount of water in the recipe depending on how thick you like your vegan sour cream. It will be thicker in the refrigerator. You can then thin it with a little water or plant milk.
- Adjust the amount of vinegar, lemon juice and salt to your taste.
- Use a high-powered blender to make the cashew sour cream, or blend a little longer with a regular blender to make it really creamy.
- Store the vegan sour cream substitute in a screw-top or canning jar in the refrigerator.
Have you made vegan sour cream yourself using this recipe? I look forward to hearing your results, your star rating, and your comment below here on how you liked and succeeded with the cashew sour cream.
Looking for more delicious vegan recipes to make yourself? Try some more:
- How to make hummus – classic recipe for the chickpea dip
- Vegan black caviar – recipe to make yourself
- Oatmeal patties vegan – crispy outside, juicy inside
Vegan sour cream / cashew sour cream
- 200 g cashews** raw (unroasted, unsalted)
- 140 ml water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or to taste
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar light or to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
to soak the cashews
- Soak cashews in plenty of cold water for about 8 - 12 hours or boiling water for about 1 hour.
- Pour away the soaking water and rinse the cashews in a sieve under running water.
- Put the cashews in a blender, add water (you can use a little less water at first and adjust the consistency later), lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and salt and blend until creamy and smooth, about 3 - 5 minutes (depending on how powerful your blender is).
- Taste the vegan sour cream, if necessary, with lemon juice and apple cider vinegar and transfer it to a screw jar.
- In the refrigerator, the vegan sour cream becomes thicker. You can then dilute it with a little water or plant milk.
- Adjust the amount of vinegar, lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Note the detailed tips and tricks for making the vegan sour cream at the top of the post.
If you are using Pinterest, you can pin the following picture: